Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Eats


Hey everybody, this is B.  So I just had my family over for Easter dinner this past Sunday.  Until the last three years, I’d always visited my family for Easter, but since I moved to the DC area, they’ve been willing to come to me.  Since they’re willing to travel and save me having to make the trip back to PA, I like to try to make something a little special for them.  This year I made rack of lamb.  It’s the second time I’ve tried it, and from my family’s reaction, it seems to be a winner.  Check out the recipe.

Rack of Lamb
(serves 6)

3.5 lbs. lamb rib chops
½ c. breadcrumbs
2 ½ tbs. dried rosemary
1/2 c. Dijon mustard
5 cloves of garlic
4 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. salt
1 tbs. pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Make sure to take the lamb out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before searing.  Rub half of the salt and pepper all over the lamb.  Then heat 2 tbs. of olive oil in a grill pan at medium/high heat.  Sear all sides of the lamb for about 1-2 minutes per side and set aside. 

In a large bowl, add your breadcrumbs, rosemary, 3 minced cloves of garlic, and the remaining salt and pepper.  Mix the dry ingredients together with a fork, then add 2 tbs. of olive oil and continue mixing.  Then brush the Dijon mustard all over the lamb.  I love the flavor the Dijon mustard gives the lamb, so feel free to use more or less depending on preference.  Once you’ve coated the lamb, dip the lamb in the breadcrumb mixture.

Drizzle 2 tbs. of olive oil into a Dutch oven ceramic pot and place the lamb chops and remaining 2 whole cloves of garlic into the Dutch oven.  Make sure the meat side of the lamb chop is facing upwards.  Cover the bones with a piece of aluminum foil so they don’t burn.  Put the lid on and cook the lamb in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Remove the lamb from the Dutch oven and set aside for 15 minutes.  Cut the lamb chops so that 2-3 bones are on each cut and serve.  JM and I decided to serve the lamb with carrots and rosemary roasted red potatoes. 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love lamb...want to make this for me?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lamb was incredibly tender. That's my biggest disappointment with spending money on what looks like a nice lean piece of meat, but it ends up tough. Your lamb chops melted in my mouth. Great job chefs!

    ReplyDelete