Saturday, August 14, 2010

Aloha!

B and I just got back from Kauai (Hawaii), where we enjoyed the sun, sand, and of course food for a weeklong vacation to attend the lovely wedding of two of our friends.  Kauai was absolutely stunning, they call it the Garden Island with good reason!  I highly recommend visiting, it was by far my favorite and most relaxing vacation (minus the confused roosters that run loose all over the island and crow at all hours of the day...).  We really enjoyed every part of the island and got to see much of it via a helicopter tour (highly recommend!) and a catamaran sunset sail to the Na'Pali Coast.  I could talk about Kauai all day, but since this is a food blog, lets turn now to that! 
Overall, B and I were quite surprised with the food selection in Kauai.  We expected great tropical fruits, and we weren't disappointed there.  However we searched for good seafood at the market and were disappointed with the small selection.  We did have great fish at both the wedding and restaurant we visited, so maybe we missed some hidden seafood market that us mere tourists couldn't find.  We ended up not doing too much cooking anyway, so we were in no way starved on our trip!  In fact, we stumbled upon the hidden jewel of Kauai (at least as far as food goes!) on a day trip to Hanalei Bay.  Nick's Taqueria is a little taco cart run by Nick, a surfer originally from Colorado that is only open from noon to 3 pm so that he can surf the rest of the day.  Normally I am not a food cart person, I just can't get past my germophobe anxiety when it comes to eating something out of the back of a truck.  However I was starving and there were no other options, so B and I gave it a try.  I'm SO GLAD we did.  It was by far the best pork taco I've ever had.  Everything is made fresh right there, no pre-made, pre-wrapped tacos that are just reheated and thrown at you.  It was definitely worth the wait!  I had no idea something so delicious could come out of  a food truck.  Is this what I've been missing all these years??  Nick's just may have changed my whole outlook on food carts!  If you ever go to Kauai, definitely make the trip to Hanalei Bay (which is one of the most beautiful spots on the island) and stop by Nick's for a pork taco.
 
Unfortunately B and I are back to reality on the mainland, but refreshed, recharged, and with a new outlook on food trucks.  If you ever get the chance, go to Kauai, you won't regret it!
 
Mahalo (thanks) for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment